This is an introductory-level course where students will learn the basics of C++ programming language to develop an application. The students will learn to use variables, expressions, flow control, loops, array and more to develop an application!
- Familiarity with the Internet and Windows or completed the computer basic course.
This course is designed for a student who wants to:
- Learn a programming language
- Planning to take an AP Course in Computer Science
- Preparing for C++ Certification exam.
Following are the objective of the course:
- Introduce the modern programming concepts and design methodologies using C++
- Discuss the concepts of good software design and methods.
- Design programs using modular problem-solving techniques.
- Use the concepts of different types of structured programming.
- Develop pseudo-code to a problem.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of programming.
- Develop algorithms using different methods.
This course depends on the student's commitment to work independently at his/her own time schedule on the projects assigned to them that will require access to the computer.The course consists of 11 modules. The workload of each module varies and uses some of the following tools:
- Reading Text: Each module consists of at least one online lecture note. The lecture covers the topic with examples applicable to the real life scenarios. To keep the students up-to-date with the latest information, the lecture notes may consist hyperlinks to current resources, such as an article, a book or a website.
- Assignments: The assignments consist of a variety of programming activities and exercises.
- Quizzes: The quiz (unlimited attempts) allows the student to further validate their learning.
- Mini-Projects: All the mini projects are to be submitted via email before the end of the course.
- Final Exam: At the end of the course, the student can take the final exam. The student must get 70% or more to receive a certificate of completion.
- To complete each module, the student must follow the instructions listed in the lecture notes.
An access to a computer and an Internet.
- Introduction to C++ Language
- History of C++ Language
- The C++ development cycle
- Source Code, Compiler, The Library, The Linker
- Installing Visual C++ Software
- Writing and Compiling C++ Code
- Coding Style & Flow Chart
- Sample Coding Styles
- Header, Comment, Messages
- Declaring variables
- Easy Readability
- Statements, Expression, Variable
- Data Types
- Numerical Variable
- Mathematical Operators
- Assignment Operators
- Escape Sequence
- Relational Operation
- Logical Operators & Expression
- The if statement
- The Conditional Operator
- The keyword "switch"
- For statement
- The Comma Operator
- The while statement
- The do … while statement
- Jump command
- Break Command
- Continue Command
- Local and Global Variables
- Scope of Variables
- Introduction to an Array
- Declaring an Array
- Initializing Arrays
- Accessing Array Elements
- Using An Array
- Multidimensional Arrays
- C++ Arrays in Detail
- The String Class in C++
- Exception Handling
- Throwing Exceptions
- Catching Exceptions
- C++ Standard Exceptions
- Define New Exceptions
- File Input/Output
- Opening & Closing a File
- Writing to & Reading from a File
Here is the course outline:
1. Introduction to C++ Language
This module will cover the basics of C++ language, such as, history of C++ Language, C++ Development Life Cycle, Source Code, Compiler, the Library, the Linker, Installing C++ Compiler, riting and Compiling first C++ code, Flow Chart and example of Flow Charting At the completion of this mocule the learner will be able to develop and compile basic application in C++ Language
2. Coding Style & Flow Chart
This module will cover coding style and flow chart . The topics will include writing header, adding comments, warning messages, defining Variable, and developing a flow chart to illustrate flow of the program. At the completion of this module, the student should be able to develop small application in C++ Language using proper coding style.
This module will cover the Expression related topics, such as, Simple and Complex Statement, Expression, Variable, Data Types, merical Variable, Mathematical Operators, Assignment Operators, and Escape Sequence. At the completion of this module the student will be able to develop application using expression in C++ Language
4. Conditional Statements
This module will introduce students to conditional statement. The topics will include understanding the use of relational & logical operators, working with expression, using If statement (If, If ... else .. , If ... else if ...else ... ), the Conditional Operator "? ... :" and the keyword "switch". At the completion of this module the learner will be able to develop small application using conditional statement in C++ Language.
5. For Loop
This module will introduce student to writing program using for loop. At the completion of this module, the student will be able to develop application in C++ Language using for loops.
6. While Loop
This module will cover the while statement, the do..while statement and the break and the continue Command At the completion of this module, the student will be able to develop application using While and do..while loops.
This module will introduce students to using functions in a program. The module will include topics such as introduction to Functions, Arguments , and the difference between Local and Global Variables At the completion of this module the student will be able to develop application in C++ Language using functions.
This module will introduce student to creating an Array, defining an Array Dimension, assigning a value to an array element, modifying the value in an array, working with one dimensional array and two dimensional array. At the completion of this module, the student will be able to develop application in C++ Language using Arrays
This module will cover the primitive C – style character string and String Class. At the completion of this module, the student will be able to use both primitive C-style character strings and C++ Strings
10. Exception Handling
This module will cover Try, Catch and Throw an Exception. At the completion of this module, the student will be able use exceptions in the program.
11. File Input & Output
12. Project: Tic-Tac-Toe
13. Project: Adding Sound (Optional)
14. Simple Calculator
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of completion|